All sessions are covered by a qualified lifeguard. The sessions vary depending on the season but normally involve technique, endurance, threshold (Critical Swim Speed) and open water skills. We follow the Swim Smooth technique (affiliated with BTF).
Novice swimmers welcome but must be able to swim 100m free style (front crawl) without stopping.
If you are a non member, you are welcome to attend two trial sessions before you must become a member of the club.
You must be over 16 years of age to attend the coached session.
Important update for club training sessions ….
September to May – Tuesday night, from 7:15 at Churcher’s college
June, July, August – Un-coached lane available to members 8-9 at Petersfield Open Air pool. Fee applies for non-season ticket holders.
May to September – Thursday night from 7pm, sea swim from Inn on the Beach at Hayling – weather dependent – non-coached just a group of triathletes swimming, at their own risk, together…. bring brightly coloured tow float and money for refreshments after – more information will be posted weekly, on Facebook
For details of the Swim coaches week by week, please see the table below:
By following a few simple rules the chances of accidents are reduced. To enable a swim session to proceed smoothly swimmers should be aware of the following
• Note which way round your lane is to swim, i.e. clockwise or anticlockwise. You should not be going in the opposite direction to the swimmers on the other side of the rope in the next lane. The lanes are organised alternatively in terms of direction of swim. At Churchers, lanes 1, 3 and 5 are clockwise and 2, 4 and 6 are anti-clockwise.
• You should swim in a lane with people roughly the same speed as you. If they are going too fast or too slow move down or up a lane accordingly. Don’t put yourself at the front of the lane if there are other faster swimmers who can maintain the required pace more consistently than you.
• If someone taps your toes on whilst swimming, wait at the end of lane for them to overtake.
• At the end of the pool stand at the sides of the lane, out of the way of incoming swimmers.
• Don't swim on another swimmer's feet. Set off with at least 5 seconds gap between you.